I'm seeking a remote position for full stack development. I prefer small agile team development for a technology-focused company. I thrive on solving complex problems at scale and although I'm adept at team management, I prefer sticking to development.
Senior Software Developer2016 - Present
AgileLaw provides real-time deposition document management and collaborative annotation capabilities via responsive web applications for desktop/mobile and native iOS/Android apps. I worked with the CTO upgrading almost every facet of the platform.
- Enterprise-level Yii app with a Postgres backend and Backbone/jQuery frontend.
- Extensive security architecture to protect sensitive client documents from a data breach.
- Cloud storage integration for 3rd party hosts including Relativity, Box.com and Dropbox.
- OAuth & JWT credential management.
- Background RabbitMQ processing for conversion of PDF documents to XOD format.
- Windows Server daemon for conversion of Office documents into PDF with COM Interop.
- Remote reporting and health monitoring.
- Cordova application development and testing for iOS and Android.
- Supported real time socket communication over Hixie-76.
- Developed a web-app version and a native application.
- Consolidated duplicate development efforts with a shared library architecture.
- Realtime interactivity for concurrent users via SocketCluster and RabbitMQ.
- Extensive UI upgrades for modern UX practices.
- Unit and functional testing through PHPUnit and Selenium.
- Typical DevOps and DBA responsibilities: migrations, monit, EC2 deployments, package management etc.
Full Time DadAug 2014 - 2015
My wife and I split the parenting responsibilities 50/50 like we do with most everything. During this time I built a few hobby projects you can view in my portfolio.
Senior Software Developer & Team LeadAug 2013 - Jul 2014
- Designed a custom data access layer in PHP using reflection.
- Cross-platform PHP tools for Windows and Linux.
- Schema migrations and reversions.
- Remote database differentials and patching.
- Full MySQL schema exports.
- InformationSchema reflection and refactoring.
- PHP model objects with multi-source hydration.
- Dynamic CRUD operations, table aliases and basic join support.
- Dynamic cache key generation and cache invalidation hooks.
- Modernized a legacy portal built with Silex.
- Implemented Smarty template inheritance.
- Upgraded to HTML5 and Bootstrap.
- Created a consistent set of pluggable UI widgets.
- Implemented site-wide form validation.
- Fixed dozens of security vulnerabilities.
- Implemented and maintained dozens of ExpressionEngine sites.
- Improved site performance from 5s to 0.7s page loads.
- Created reusable templates and includes.
- Implemented a content migration and deployment plugin.
- Created EE to WordPress migration strategy and coordinated the technical launch of Modernize.com.
- Implemented major core enhancements to a high frequency trading system.
- Managed integration with Boberdoo a 3rd-party HFT PAAS.
- Integrated with Authorize.net, Five9, Plivo and Salesforce for both internal and customer facing portals.
- Rewrote a flaky multithreaded message queue with proper semaphores and transactional DB access.
- Implemented a global caching layer with Stash / memcache.
- Abstracted all hard-coded scalars and config variables to a centralized configuration web portal to minimize deployments and audit changes.
- Worked closely with VP of engineering to manage a growing development team.
- Led peer reviews for feature design & architecture.
- Established source code, deployment and testing policies.
- Created reporting tools with API integration to JIRA and Stash.
- Established and significantly contributed to documentation and unit tests.
- Integrated a custom sprint tracking utility driven by Git hooks.
- Daily assistance and mentoring for a team of 6 developers.
- Fixed systemic flaws in development and production environments and codebase.
- Refactored a massive, unsynchronized, cherry-picked, tightly-coupled common library across 7 core systems.
- Normalized all teammates' disparate development environments for consistent filepaths, application versions and configuration.
- Migrated VCS platform and development/production infrastructure from SVN to Git.
- Migrated from Apache 2.1 to Apache 2.4 and PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.5.
- Created a cloud deployment tool with disaster recovery support.
- Conceived and coordinated epic pranks on coworkers and supervisors.
Argand Technologies / MyCollegeScout.com
Director of DevelopmentFeb 2013 - Aug 2013
- Managed architecture and feature development of MyCollegeScout.com.
- Hired and managed a development team of 4 full stack developers and two QA analysts.
- Reported to CEO, president and investors.
- Documented standard development policies, procedures and best practices.
- Scrum Lead for a modified Scrum/Kanban process.
- Symfony 2.1 - 2.3 Development.
- Advanced morms and templating.
- DI and service abstractions.
- Fully managed database with Doctrine entities and migrations.
- Twig templates and custom extensions.
- Custom Symfony extensions using compiler passes and base entity abstractions.
- Composer dependency management.
- Created a graduation planning feature with college entrance probability metrics.
- Created a CommonApplication generator from a social media based timeline and high school grade transcripts.
- Reporting, automation and testing.
- Node.js metrics server.
- Bitbutcket API extensions for scrum management.
- PhantomJS/canvas CSS regression automation.
- Jenkins CI and build automation with PHPUnit tests.
- Custom Symfony console commands.
- Used LessCSS, Bootstrap, jQuery/UI, Twitter & Facebook Graph.
Senior Software DeveloperMay 2011 - Feb 2013
- Developed responsive HTML5 web sites.
- Developed a responsive video sharing site for Chevy to promote their XLVI Super Bowl Contest.
- Translated to 8 different locales.
- Hosted globally on 4 continents.
- Presented on MSN.com as a full-page takeover.
- Integrated multiple video and image asset CDN's.
- Implemented hacking and gamification defense mechanisms for online video voting.
- Designed as a single page app supported across all major devices.
- Created a content management system for our copy editors.
- A heavily customized WordPress Multisite installation.
- Custom content workflows from draft to final print.
- Exportable into custom Word document templates via WScript/COM.
- Created a few WordPress plugins available on WordPress.org.
- Contributed to WordPress core bug fixes and patches for 3.1 - 3.3.
- Developed a social media metrics tracker for internal use to monitor our client's social engagements across 6 major providers.
- Various projects including Facebook apps/profile pages, cloud service monitors, social media integration and build process automation.
- Won 4 HFS awards for outstanding work.
Senior Software ConsultantSeptember 2008 - April 2011
- Switched to consulting and contracting work to improve my dated skill set from Neopost Loopone.
- Designed and developed an automation framework for distributed process automation.
- Managed full product life cycle, development, testing and deadlines for up to 6 active clients.
- Worked on projects for Premiere Global, Dell, Neopost, MyEDU (aka Pick-A-Prof), Proteus Biomedical, Bonvu.com, and various smaller short term projects.
- Developed cloud-based data mining platform for MyEDU to gather schedules, grades and book lists from all public universities in the US.
- Created a custom content management system for Premiere Global.
- Designed a hate speech content filter for ArgueWithEveryone.com.
- Developed warehouse automation system for mid-scale fulfillment center.
Senior Software Engineer / Project LeadJul 2007 - April 2010
- Designed and maintained postal systems for ParcelForce Worldwide and the UK postal system.
- Created an end-to-end parcel solution for Australia Post with a customer tracking portal.
- Worked closely with QA and management to improve our scrum process.
- Implemented a unit testing framework
- Initiated code reviews and SVN management procedures.
- Improved development schedules.
- Implemented customer acceptance testing with clients in UK, France, Spain and Australia.
- Worked directly with international clients to refine software specifications and develop design documents.
- Lead developer for a 3 month project implementing security and accessibility solutions for international regulatory compliance as recommended by Qinetiq.
- Worked with a small team to slipstream the upgrade to Apache 2.0 / Embperl 2.0 compatibility.
- Created common web components across four major systems to improve maintenance.
- Implemented a white-label application for HDN, the UK's largest private shipping firm.
- Redesigned SendItNow.com to implement AJAX pricing calculator and a new cross-browser design.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Balfour / American Achievement Corp
Senior Software Engineer / Team Lead2007
- Team lead for a Classmates.com co-branding effort.
- Designed and developed a white-label platform for Walmart.com and Classmates.com.
- Rewrote from scratch a class ring / championship ring configuration engine.
- A complex multi-step wizard that allowed complete customization of graduation rings with dynaically rendered photos of the final product.
- Integrated with manufacturing for order processing.
- Integrated with sales associates for entering mass orders compiled at on-school events.
- Built from the ground up to be iframe hosted and brandable across a dozen different satelite properties.
- Establish source control procedures and migrated from VSS to SVN.
- Established coding standards, project management workflows and produced extensive documentation for SOX compliance.
- Worked with C# ASP.Net 2.0, Microsoft Themes, Atlas, Sitemaps, dynamic nested Master Pages, and NHibernate.
- Used NUnit for test driven development.
- Designed a custom AJAX framework compatible with ASP.Net WebForms.
Opus Healthcare Solutions
Software Engineer / Project Lead2005 - 2007
- Developed a web application for patient medication administration (MACC).
- Worked directly with hospital staff to ensure a streamlined workflow.
- Integrated barcode scanning system for medication/patient verification.
- Implemented security controls and protocols for HIPAA compliance.
- Designed charting and notification system for reducing clinical error with multi-dosage regimens.
- Enhanced a custom AJAX application framework for error handling and flash messaging.
- Team Lead for several projects.
- Reported metrics from 3rd-tier support group and bug tracking system to development manager.
- Maintained feature backlog for our hospital floor products.
- Primary liaison to QA and product management groups.
- Primary development in Perl with the Mason framework.
- Used MOrbit to interface with cluster of application servers.
- Enhanced a custom OO DB Layer atop DBI/Postgres.
- Worked exclusively via Bash/VI on a linux cloud environment.
- Secondary development in Visual Studio .NET (VB) for Windows mobile devices.
Renew Data Corp
Process Engineer / Software Engineer2003 - 2005
Process Engineering Group
Software Engineering Group
- Took company-sponsored training courses to learn J2EE and transitioned to the web applications team.
- Learned agile development, enterprise application design patterns and test driven development.
- Continued to take courses on distributed application design and multithreaded architectures.
- Helped design and develop an information warehousing web application in Java for managing customer-based data retrieval from a NAS.
- Developed a resource planning and management component for optimizing data extraction project timelines.
- Implemented with JSPs, Spring, JBoss, Hibernate with Oracle 10g.
- Adopted unit testing with JUnit and IEUnit.
- Worked with CVS, ANT, and the Eclipse IDE.
- Recovered data for companies such as UBS, Enron and ING.
Fast Media, llc
Software Developer / MIS Director2000 - 2003
- Managed a network of 50 employees (10% remote), 24 NT Servers, Norstar PBX and 4 Oracle Databases.
- Managed 4 network admins and reported directly to CEO on all IT needs.
- Developed a media tracking system for managing sales of advertising spots on broadcast networks.
- Primary development in Powerbuilder 5.0 with an Oracle backend.
- Secondary development projects were built with Visual Basic 6.0.
- Developed and maintained crystal reports server for customer and internal use.
- Used XML/HTTP Requests before "AJAX".
- Independently studied network and application security.
Controlled Decisions, Inc
Junior Software Developer1996 - 1999
- Designed process control software for manufacturing systems, oil refineries, and rock quarries.
- Primary development in Visual Basic 3.0 - 5.0.
- Supported and integrated an in-house database system in C++.
- Full life cycle development with a team of 6 developers.
- Created OCX modules for a WYSIWYG configuration engine.
- Developed a reporting system with Crystal Reports and a MS SQL Server DB.
- Created a real-time analytics dashboard with customizable 4D charts.