I seek a senior-level full stack development position with a technology-focused company. I thrive on complex problems and enjoy feature collaboration in a small team environment. I excel in organizations that practice agile development paradigms and support a healthy work-life balance.
I am proficient in a variety of languages with a recent emphasis on TypeScript, C#, and PHP. I'm a SecDevOps practitioner with experience deploying cloud-based software in a continuous and containerized pipeline. I'm comfortable developing on Windows, Linux or MacOS and I'm capable with dev automation strategies across Powershell, Bash and NodeJS. My primary focus is web application development but I have extensive experience with Frameworks, APIs and Win32 system development.
Senior FullStack EngineerPresent
Vangst is a technology based recruiting platform for the cannabis industry. My role focuses primarily on leading a team of 8 to develop back-office solutions, a PWA for our gig workers and a web platform for self-serve recruitment needs.
Senior Software Engineer2017 - 2019
Code42 provides endpoint security with a next gen DLP solution combined with their industry proven incremental backup client. I worked with two teams to develop a forensic file search application capable of searching billions of file events across an organization within seconds. I led a team of 5 to develop an security alerting application designed to notify security administrators and CISOs of exfiltrated data.
- SecDevOps development practices.
- Infrastructure as Code with Terraform.
- Concourse & Jenkins CI pipelines.
- Docker container management with Docker Compose.
- Zero-Trust security practices with AWS Cognito and JWE security tokens.
- Serverless architecture with Lambdas, S3, Kinesis, DynamoDB and CloudWatch.
- AWS Cloud, Lambdas, S3 and Kinesis development.
- TypeScript / React FE feature development.
- TypeScript, Redux and Hooks SPA development.
- Unit Testing with Mocha / NYC.
- System Testing with Cypress.io.
- Ant.Design, MaterialUI and custom components.
- Node.js, C#, Java, Kotlin service development.
- Worked with a variety of backend services across multiple projects.
- Mock services built on AWS LocalStack.
- Unit, system and integration testing.
- Auditing and logging with enterprise security considerations.
- AWS telemetry, service monitoring, health checks and alarms.
- Microservice architecture planning and Product / UX design collaboration.
- Extensive on-boarding, training & mentoring for new hires and interns.
Senior Software Developer2015 - 2017
AgileLaw provides real-time deposition document management and collaborative annotation capabilities via responsive web applications for desktop/mobile and native iOS/Android apps. I worked with the CTO upgrading and enhancing almost every facet of the platform.
- Enterprise-level Yii app with a PostgreSQL backend and Backbone/jQuery frontend.
- Extensive security architecture to protect sensitive client documents from a data breach.
- Cloud storage integration for 3rd party hosts including Relativity, Box.com and Dropbox.
- OAuth & JWE credential management.
- Background RabbitMQ processing for conversion of PDF documents to XOD format.
- Windows Server daemon for conversion of Office documents into PDF with COM Interop.
- Remote reporting and health monitoring.
- Cordova application development and testing for iOS and Android.
- Supported real time socket communication over Hixie76.
- Developed a web-app version and a Cordova-based application.
- Consolidated duplicate development efforts with a shared library architecture.
- Real-time interactivity for concurrent users via SocketCluster and RabbitMQ.
- Extensive UI upgrades for modern UX practices.
- Unit and functional testing through PHPUnit and Selenium.
- Typical DevOps responsibilities: migrations, Monit, EC2 deployments, package management.
Full Time DadAug 2014 - 2015
My wife and I split the parenting responsibilities 50/50 to minimize the impact on our careers in technology. During this time I built a few hobby projects you can view in my portfolio.
Senior Software Developer & Team LeadAug 2013 - Jul 2014
- Designed a custom data access layer in PHP using reflection.
- Cross-platform PHP tools for Windows and Linux.
- Schema migrations and reversions.
- Remote database differentials and patching.
- Full MySQL schema exports.
- InformationSchema reflection and refactoring.
- PHP model objects with multi-source hydration.
- Dynamic CRUD operations, table aliases and basic join support.
- Dynamic cache key generation and cache invalidation hooks.
- Modernized a legacy portal built with Silex.
- Implemented Smarty template inheritance.
- Upgraded to HTML5 and Bootstrap.
- Created a consistent set of pluggable UI widgets.
- Implemented site-wide form validation.
- Fixed dozens of security vulnerabilities.
- Implemented and maintained dozens of ExpressionEngine sites.
- Improved site performance from 5s to 0.7s page loads.
- Created reusable templates and includes.
- Implemented a content migration and deployment plugin.
- Created EE to WordPress migration strategy and coordinated the technical launch of Modernize.com.
- Implemented major core enhancements to a high frequency trading system.
- Managed integration with Boberdoo a 3rd-party HFT PAAS.
- Integrated with Authorize.net, Five9, Plivo and Salesforce for both internal and customer facing portals.
- Rewrote a flaky multi-threaded message queue with proper semaphores and transactional DB access.
- Implemented a global caching layer with Stash / memcache.
- Abstracted all hard-coded scalars and config variables to a centralized configuration web portal to minimize deployments and audit changes.
- Worked closely with VP of engineering to manage a growing development team.
- Led peer reviews for feature design & architecture.
- Established source code, deployment and testing policies.
- Created reporting tools with API integration to JIRA and Stash.
- Established and significantly contributed to documentation and unit tests.
- Integrated a custom sprint tracking utility driven by Git hooks.
- Daily assistance and mentoring for a team of 6 developers.
- Fixed systemic flaws in development and production environments and codebase.
- Refactored a massive, unsynchronized, cherry-picked, tightly-coupled common library across 7 core systems.
- Normalized all teammates' disparate development environments for consistent file paths, application versions and configuration.
- Migrated VCS platform and development/production infrastructure from SVN to Git.
- Migrated from Apache 2.1 to Apache 2.4 and PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.5.
- Created a cloud deployment tool with disaster recovery support.
- Conceived and coordinated epic pranks on coworkers and supervisors.
Argand Technologies / MyCollegeScout.com
Director of DevelopmentFeb 2013 - Aug 2013
- Managed architecture and feature development of http://www.mycollegescout.com.
- Hired and managed a development team of 4 full stack developers and two QA analysts.
- Reported to CEO, president and investors.
- Documented standard development policies, procedures and best practices.
- Scrum Lead for a modified Scrum/Kanban process.
- Symfony 2.1 - 2.3 Development.
- Advanced forms and templating.
- DI and service abstractions.
- Fully managed database with Doctrine entities and migrations.
- Twig templates and custom extensions.
- Custom Symfony extensions using compiler passes and base entity abstractions.
- Composer dependency management.
- Created a graduation planning feature with college entrance probability metrics.
- Created a CommonApplication generator from a social media based timeline and high school grade transcripts.
- Reporting, automation and testing.
- Node.js metrics server.
- Bitbucket API extensions for scrum management.
- PhantomJS/canvas CSS regression automation.
- Jenkins CI and build automation with PHPUnit tests.
- Custom Symfony console commands.
- Used LessCSS, Bootstrap, jQuery/UI, Twitter & Facebook Graph.
Senior Software DeveloperMay 2011 - Feb 2013
- Developed responsive HTML5 web sites.
- Power Engineers
- Sweet Leaf Tea
- New Era
- Developed a responsive video sharing site for Chevrolet.com to promote their XLVI Super Bowl Contest.
- Translated to 8 different locales.
- Hosted globally on 4 continents.
- Presented on MSN.com as a full-page takeover.
- Integrated multiple video and image asset CDN platforms.
- Implemented hacking and gamification defense mechanisms for online video voting.
- Designed as a single page app supported across all major devices.
- Created a content management system for our copy editors.
- A heavily customized WordPress Multisite installation.
- Custom content workflows from draft to final print.
- Exportable into custom Word document templates via WScript/COM.
- Created a few plugins available on WordPress.org.
- Contributed to WordPress core bug fixes and patches for v3 - v4.
- Developed a social media metrics tracker for internal use to monitor our client's social engagements across 6 major providers.
- Various projects including Facebook apps/profile pages, cloud service monitors, social media integration and build process automation.
- Won 4 HFS awards for outstanding work.
Senior Software ConsultantSeptember 2008 - April 2011
- Switched to consulting and contracting work to improve my dated skill set from Neopost Loopone.
- Designed and developed an automation framework for distributed process automation.
- Managed full product life cycle, development, testing and deadlines for up to 6 active clients.
- Worked on projects for Premiere Global, Dell, Neopost, MyEDU (aka Pick-A-Prof), Proteus Biomedical, Bonvu.com, and various smaller short term projects.
- Developed cloud-based data mining platform for MyEDU to gather schedules, grades and book lists from all public universities in the US.
- Created a custom content management system for Premiere Global.
- Designed a hate speech content filter for ArgueWithEveryone.com.
- Developed warehouse automation system for mid-scale fulfillment center.
Senior Software Engineer / Project LeadJul 2007 - April 2010
- Designed and maintained postal systems for ParcelForce Worldwide and the UK postal system.
- Created an end-to-end parcel solution for Australia Post with a customer tracking portal.
- Worked closely with QA and management to improve our scrum process.
- Implemented a unit testing framework
- Initiated code reviews and SVN management procedures.
- Improved development schedules.
- Implemented customer acceptance testing with clients in UK, France, Spain and Australia.
- Worked directly with international clients to refine software specifications and develop design documents.
- Lead developer for a 3 month project implementing security and accessibility solutions for international regulatory compliance as recommended by Qinetiq.
- Worked with a small team to slipstream the upgrade to Apache 2.0 / Embperl 2.0 compatibility.
- Created common web components across four major systems to improve maintenance.
- Implemented a white-label application for HDN, the UK's largest private shipping firm.
- Redesigned SendItNow.com to implement AJAX pricing calculator and a new cross-browser design.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Balfour / American Achievement Corp
Senior Software Engineer / Team Lead2007
- Team lead for a Classmates.com co-branding effort.
- Designed and developed a white-label platform for Walmart.com and Classmates.com.
- Rewrote from scratch a class ring / championship ring configuration engine.
- A complex multi-step wizard that allowed complete customization of graduation rings with dynamically rendered photos of the final product.
- Integrated with manufacturing for order processing.
- Integrated with sales associates for entering mass orders compiled at on-school events.
- Built from the ground up to be iframe hosted and custom branded across a dozen different satellite properties.
- Establish source control procedures and migrated from VSS to SVN.
- Established coding standards, project management workflows and produced extensive documentation for SOX compliance.
- Worked with C# ASP.Net 2.0, Microsoft Themes, Atlas, Sitemaps, dynamic nested Master Pages, and NHibernate.
- Used NUnit for test driven development.
- Designed a custom AJAX framework compatible with ASP.Net WebForms.
Opus Healthcare Solutions
Software Engineer / Project Lead2005 - 2007
- Developed a web application for patient medication administration.
- Worked directly with hospital staff to ensure a streamlined workflow.
- Integrated barcode scanning system for medication/patient verification.
- Implemented security controls and protocols for HIPAA compliance.
- Designed charting and notification system for reducing clinical error with multi-dosage regimens.
- Enhanced a custom AJAX application framework for error handling and flash messaging.
- Team Lead for several projects.
- Reported metrics from 3rd-tier support group and bug tracking system to development manager.
- Maintained feature backlog for our hospital floor products.
- Primary liaison to QA and product management groups.
- Primary development in Perl with the Mason framework.
- Used MOrbit to interface with cluster of application servers.
- Enhanced a custom OO DB Layer atop DBI/PostgreSQL.
- Worked exclusively via Bash/VI on a linux cloud environment.
- Secondary development in Visual Studio .NET (VB) for Windows mobile devices.
Renew Data Corp
Process Engineer / Software Engineer2003 - 2005
Process Engineering Group
Software Engineering Group
- Took company-sponsored training courses to learn J2EE and transitioned to the web applications team.
- Learned agile development, enterprise application design patterns and test driven development.
- Continued to take courses on distributed application design and multi-threaded architectures.
- Helped design and develop an information warehousing web application in Java for managing customer-based data retrieval from a NAS.
- Developed a resource planning and management component for optimizing data extraction project timelines.
- Implemented with JSPs, Spring, JBoss, Hibernate with Oracle 10g.
- Adopted unit testing with JUnit and IEUnit.
- Worked with CVS, ANT, and the Eclipse IDE.
- Recovered data for companies such as UBS, Enron and ING.
Fast Media, llc
Software Developer / MIS Director2000 - 2003
- Managed a network of 50 employees (10% remote), 24 NT Servers, Norstar PBX and Oracle databases.
- Managed 4 network admins and reported directly to CEO on all IT needs.
- Developed a media tracking system for managing sales of advertising spots on broadcast networks.
- Primary development in PowerBuilder 5.0 with an Oracle backend.
- Secondary development projects were built with Visual Basic 6.0.
- Developed and maintained crystal reports server for customer and internal use.
- Used XML/HTTP Requests before "AJAX".
- Independently studied network and application security.
Controlled Decisions, Inc
Associate Software Developer1996 - 1999
- Designed process control software for manufacturing systems, oil refineries, and rock quarries.
- Primary development in Visual Basic 3.0 - 5.0.
- Supported and integrated an in-house database system in C++.
- Full life cycle development with a team of 6 developers.
- Created OCX modules for a WYSIWYG configuration engine.
- Developed a reporting system with Crystal Reports and a MS SQL Server DB.
- Created a real-time analytics dashboard with customizable 4D charts.