Marcus E. Pope3701 Rip Ford Dr. Austin, TX 78732
I'm primarily seeking a position that involves active development with modern open source languages and libraries. I prefer large scale full-stack development with either traditional or NoSQL backends. I prefer developing web applications and component libraries over websites, but I'm happy with both. And if the opportunity presents itself I would enjoy expanding on my management abilities.
Technical Skill Sets (Years of Experience)
- » PHP (6)
- » .Net C#, VB (10)
- » Perl (7)
- » Python (1)
- » Objective C (1)
- » Java J2EE (3)
- » Visual Basic (7)
- » WSH, VBA, JScript (12)
- » Bash, Batch, Powershell (8)
Web / Client
- » Reset.css, 960Grid, Modernizr, HTML5 Boilerplate
- » JSON, AJAX, XML, YAML
- » HTML5, (X)HTML4 Strict
- » CSS3 (No Hacks, Cross-Browser)
- » TypeKit, Web Fonts, Responsive Design
- » Web Applications, HTAs, Adobe Air, PhoneGap
- » Web Services (SOAP & REST)
- » Cloud Computing (EC2, Rackspace, Azure, Heroku)
- » WSH, IE Automation, Selenium, PhantomJS
Frameworks & Libraries
- » .Net - MVC2/3, Webforms, Win32 API
- » Browser - jQuery, Dojo, Prototype, YUI, Ext, Mootools, Sencha, Mustache, Sammy, Underscore
- » Node.js - Jade, ExpressJS, Backbone.js, mustache, sass
- » Perl - Mason, Embperl, Catalyst
- » PHP - WordPress, Yii, Symfony2, Cake, Zend, CodeIgnitor, Joomla, Drupal, Twig, Smarty
- » Java - Struts, Spring, Swing, J2EE
- » Ruby - Rails / Active Support (personal endeavors)
- » RPC - CORBA, COM, JRMI, WMI
- » MySQL 4+
- » MongoDB
- » MS SQLServer 2000-2012
- » PostegreSQL 7.4+
- » HTML 5 LocalStorage & SQLite
- » Oracle 8-13
- » TokyoCabinet
- » Access 2000-2008
- » ORMs - Hibernate, DBI, ADO, ZendDBTable, ActiveRecord, Doctrine, RedBean
Tools, API's & Resources
- Agile Development (Scrum, XP, & Paired) (9)
- Project Planning (Basecamp, ScrumWorks, RallyDev, Mantis, Jira, MS Project) (8)
- Source Control Management (HG, GIT, SVN, CVS, VSS)
- Automated QA (xUnit, IEUnit, Que, Automate, WinRunner, QA Wizard) (5)
- Amazon EC2 & Rackspace Cloud Computing & Management
- Facebook OpenGraph & Restful API's, Google API's, Highcharts, Twitter, Brightcove
(Current) Argand Technologies / MyCollegeScout.com
Director of Development
- Managing architecture and development of http://www.mycollegescout.com/
- Hiring and managing a development team
- Reporting to CEO, President and Investors
- Documenting standard development policies, procedures and best practices
- Software Development and Scrum lead
- Symfony2.1 - 2.3 development.
- Advanced Forms & Templating.
- DI & Service abstractions.
- Fully managed database with Doctrine Entities & Migrations.
- Twig templates & custom extensions.
- Custom Symfony extensions using compiler passes & base entity abstractions.
- Composer dependency management.
- Reporting, Automation & Testing.
- Node.js metrics server.
- Bitbutcket API extensions for Scrum Management.
- PhantomJS/Canvas CSS regression automation.
- Jenkins CI & Build automation with PHPUnit tests.
- Custom Symfony console commands.
- LessCSS, Bootstrap, jQuery/UI, Twitter & Facebook Graph integration.
(May 2011 - Feb 2013) Springbox
Senior Software Developer
- Developed HTML5 websites for various companies like Power Engineers, CSID, Sweet Leaf Tea, Tradewinds, Nokia and New Era.
- Developed a responsive social media & video sharing website for MSN and Chevy to promote and manage their Super Bowl sweepstakes.
- Created an in-house content management system built on a heavily customized WordPress Multisite installation to improve content workflows.
- Designed markdown-based wiki system using node.js and a variety of cutting edge micro-frameworks.
- Created numerous WordPress plugins, 5 of which are published on wordpress.org. Also contributed to core bug fixes and patches for 3.1 - 3.3.
- Developed a social media metrics tracker for internal use to monitor our client's social engagements and overall activity across 6 major providers.
- Won 4 HFS awards for outstanding work.
(September 2008 - April 2011) Independent Contractor
Senior Software Consultant
- Switched to consulting work to improve my stagnant skill set from Neopost Loopone.
- Designed and developed an automation framework for distributed process automation.
- Managed full product life cycle, development, testing & deadlines for up to 6 active clients.
- Worked on projects for Premiere Global, Dell, Neopost, MyEDU (aka Pick-A-Prof), Proteus Biomedical, Bonvu.com, and various smaller short term projects.
- Major projects include:
- Developed cloud-based data mining platform for MyEDU to gather schedules, grades and book lists from all public universities in the US.
- Created a custom content management system for Premiere Global.
- Designed a hate speech content filter for ArgueWithEveryone.com
- Developed warehouse automation system for mid-scale fulfillment center.
(Jul 2007 - April 2010) Neopost Loopone
Senior Software Engineer / Project Lead / Consultant
- Designed and maintained postal systems for ParcelForce Worldwide serving the UK postal system and international parcel delivery.
- Established a unit testing framework for QA acceptance, implemented code reviews and produced SVN management policies to improve code quality and reduce integration issues between three teams.
- Worked closely with QA & Management to improve our agile SCRUM process, development schedules and customer acceptance testing. Also worked directly with customer and clients to refine customer specifications and produce design documents for team development.
- Project lead for implementing security solutions recommended by Qinetiq. Worked with small team to upgrade our massive code base for Apache/Embperl 2 compatibility.
- Created common web components across four major shipping systems to improve system maintenance. Worked on a branded demo application for Home Delivery Network, the UK's largest home shipping organization. Redesigned SendItNow.com to implement a custom AJAX framework and an updated, cross-browser-compatible design.
- Problem Domains: Cross-browser support (IE, FF & Opera), international security & users with disabilities compliance, system architecture design for both domestic and international development teams.
(Jan 2007 - Jun 2007) Balfour / American Achievement Corp
Senior Software Engineer / Team Lead / Sys Admin
- Team lead for a Classmates.com co-branding effort. Designed and developed partner retail platforms of the Balfour.com high school ring division for Walmart.com and Classmates.com.
- Created internal automation tools and win32 services to integrate into Window Management Instrumentation to audit production changes and to improve business workflow.
- Lead a team of four to establish source control systems (migration from Source Safe to SVN), coding standards, project management and project life cycle policies. Produced extensive documentation on development department where none existed before.
- Gained experience working with DotNet 2.0 technologies such as Microsoft Themes, Atlas, Sitemaps, Dynamic Nested Master Pages, and NHibernate. Used NUnit for test driven development. Also designed a custom AJAX Framework compatible with APS.Net WebForms.
- Problem Domains: E-Commerce, Multi-branded presentation layers, brand-driven production guidelines, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
(2005 - 2007) Opus Healthcare Solutions
Software Engineer / Project Lead / QA
- Developed web-based Medication Administration Charting and Checking (MACC) application for managing and automating the process of administering medication to patients in hospitals. It was developed on a custom AJAX application framework.
- Team Lead for several projects. Responsibilities included reporting to development manager, bug tracking, feature tracking, liaison to QA and Product Management.
- Primary development in Perl using Mason framework, MOrbit interface to application servers and a custom OO DB Layer with Postgres DB. Secondary development in Visual Studio .NET (VB) for Windows Mobile devices.
- Problem Domains: Linux administration, Enterprise systems in OO Perl, LAMP stack development, Apache / ModPerl configuration, Model-View-Controller architecture, AJAX best practices.
(2003 - 2005) Renew Data Corp
Software Engineer / Process Engineer
- Developed Win32 applications in C# and workflow processes to automate data recovery from backup tapes across a 500 node server farm. Designed and authored a program that managed system processes and data extraction tools across a server farm using the Windows Management Instrumentation Interface (WMI.)
- Used distributed processing and load balancing measures to avoid disk and network contention. Developed redundancy, failover and monitoring features to manage faulty hardware problems in a 24x7x365 production environment.
- Software processed over 3 petabytes of customer information and used patented data deduplication techniques to store the information in a 500 terabyte NAS.
- Helped design and develop an information warehousing web application in Java for managing customer data retrieval from NAS. System also managed resource planning for data extraction workflow. Recovered data for companies such as UBS, Enron and ING.
- Primary development in Visual Studio .NET (C#), and J2EE using JSPs, Struts, JBoss, Hibernate, and some Spring with Oracle 10, 11i.) Implemented Unit Testing into development practices with JUnit & IEUnit. Worked with CVS, ANT, Bugzilla, Eclipse IDE.
- Problem Domains: Agile development, enterprise application design, test driven development, distributed processing and data decryption techniques.
(2000 - 2003) Fast Media, llc
Software Developer / MIS Director
- Managed a network of 50 employees (10% remote), 24 NT Servers, Norstar PBX and 4 Oracle Databases.
- Managed 4 network admins and reported directly to CEO on all IT needs.
- Developed a media tracking system for managing sales & trades of advertising spots on broadcast television networks.
- Primary development in Powerbuilder 5.0 with Oracle backend and Visual Basic 6.0. Developed and maintained crystal reports server for customer and internal use.
- Problem Domains: Business management and planning, personnel management, network/process automation, software and network security.
(1996 - 1999) Controlled Decisions, Inc
Junior Software Developer
- Designed process control software for manufacturing systems, oil refineries, and rock quarries.
- Primary Development in Visual Basic (3.0 - 5.0), supported and integrated an in-house database system in C++.
- Full Development cycle with a team of 6 developers.
- Problem Domains: OCX creation, SQL Server, Crystal Reports, Charting & Graphing.
Education & Training
(2004 - Present) Certifications & Courses
- Agile Software Development: 7 day course with Jim Highsmith
- SCRUM Master Training: 3 day course with Jack Yang, Certified SCRUM Trainer.
- Project Management Training: UT Professional Development Center.
- Team Lead Training: UT Professional Development Center.
- J2EE Implementations: Sun Microsystems Training Course.
(1995 - 1999) Round Rock High School
- Graduated with Advanced Honors
- Competed in NFL/TFA CX Debate, won 11 tournaments and over 40 awards.
- Advanced to State Science Fair with OCR engine developed in Visual C++.